Home

Home

Thursday 29 September 2011

Labor, Craft and Play

Labor:
i really don't feel like knitting is a labor it is an activity, something i do by choice, to relax. Although the history of french knitting may well have been a labor to create clothing for warmth.

Craft:
Jacobs (2009) explains craft as "An object usually made by hand using tools and skill." (p.58) I view this as creating something tangible something aesthetic to touch, play with, made my hand using a combination of skills. I feel as though french knitting is a tribute to my granny who tourght me everything i know about art and craft. My Granny she spent the time to teach me french knitting as a child, and many other types of knitting this reinforcing a great relationships in my life. I enjoy craft the process and action of creating something from nothing. Also usually enjoy the process and the result the tangible item i have created.
Pacing of the activity, it is a long term commitment to create enough meters to turn it into a scarf the end activity. Here i am also creating/ training my patience a good skill for Occupational Therapists
I also use this activity to capture a moment of thought.
creating something for gratification of completing a task.. as i am known to start things and never finish them.

Plays:
According to Jacobs (2009) Play is "Any spontaneous or organized activity that provides enjoyment, entertainment, amusement, or diversion" (p.193)
I personally treat this activity as being light hearted, an activity that does provide enjoyment, entertainment and a diversion.
Its a generic need to be satisfied and this activity is satisfying my need to be occupied and to use my time wisely. This recreation gives us a break from our every day maindain life.

References:
Jacobs, K., & Jacobs, L. (2009). Quick Reference Dictionary for Occupational Therapy (fifth ed., p. 58-193).

No comments:

Post a Comment