Home

Home

Friday 7 October 2011

Affordances:

I understand affordance as the potential for this activity to lead me onto other activities. "It is through our activities that we…practice skills, express our feelings, experience pleasure…” (Hopkins & Smith, 1983). Also Hagedorn (2000) states that Affordance is anything which the environment can offer the individual which is pertinent to the role challenge and can facilitate role competence.

When i first began my French knitting in my flat it provoked conversation, "What are you doing" "What are you going to do with it?" Knitting also would afford me to go shopping when i ran out of wool or wanted new ideas. Knitting mainly affords me to relax, I am someone who likes to be constantly busy, when physically relaxing i need to still be occupied by a task like knitting.

References:
Hopkins, H.L., & Smith, H.D. (1983). Willard and Spackman’s occupational therapy. In Crepeau E. (2003). Analyzing occupation and activity: A way of thinking about occupational performance. In Crepeau, E., Cohn, E., & Schell, B. (Eds.), Willard and Spackman’s occupational therapy (10th ed., pp.189-198). Philadelphia: Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins.

Hagedorn, . (2000). Tools for practice in Occupational Therapy: a structured approact to core skills and processes. London: Chirchhill livingstone.

No comments:

Post a Comment