Home

Home

Thursday 22 September 2011

Aesthetics, Spirituality, History and Health

Aesthetics:
All french knitting comes out the same but the beauty is creating and turning it into something new and individualistic from this raw knit. loom knitting is something i would like to look further in to something that could take my french knitting aesthetics further.

Spirituality:
Since beginning my study as an Occupational therapist, the word 'Spirituality' and my understanding has been constantly evolving and changing. I assume for the rest of my life and carrier as an Occupational therapist it will continue to change as spirituality is, and changes with the individual.
Jacobs (2009) describes spiritual activities as "Religion- or spirituality-based tasks." and spirituality as "the personal quest for understanding and answers to ultimate questions about life, about meaning, and about religion-ship with the sacred or transcendent, which may or may not lead to or arise from the development or religious rituals and the formation of community" (moreira-Almeida & Koeing, 2006, p.844)
With the risk of sounding far to complex i also found a simpler definition which i think i can relate to. Also stated in Jacobs (2009) Spirituality is a "Pervasive life force, manifestation of a higher self, source of will and self-determination, and sense of meaning, purpose and connectedness that people experience in the context of their environment" (p.249)
Spirituality is also Inter-subjective, how the world influences us and how we influence the world. With regards to the final simple quote this french knitting provides me with a 'connectedness' with my family. Bringing back memory's of me as a child, at Christmas, receiving this unusual wooden block with nails for Christmas. what is this? and also the memories of sitting in front of the t.v with the rest of the family, sitting on the floor very content and happy with my own creation that i could own. I have the self-determination to do such an activity as it provides me with a sense of meaning I dont think this is because of a higher force or manifestation of a higher self but is an experience of spirituality none the less, I like the joy and rhythm of such a peaceful activity.

History:
Creativity has always been my thing, expressing myself in a creative way, defiantly evokes my sense of self. I have been bought up in a supportive family who believed that i would 'make it' as an artist, that i was different and no one else thought and created like me. My granny has been my tutor for everything arty and creative, when i am doing arts and craft i feel a definite connection with my granny. often reminiscing the times i have spent with her is her Art studio.

Health:
"Health is more than the absence of disease (WHO, 1986), from an occupational perspective, health includes having a choice, abilities, and opportunities for engaging in meaningful patterns of occupation for looking after self, enjoying life, and contributing to the social and economic fabric of a community over the lifespan to promote health, well-being, and justice through occupation. (adapted from CAOT, 1997)" (Jacobs p.108, 2009)
how does this activity influence my health? This activity contributes to my psychological health. it is calming, restful, therapeutic in a sense of i can get lost within the activity. Individuals with injuries to lower limb or trunk this is an activity that they can do without limitation. Can give these people a sense of completion of an activity, self satisfaction. Hand therapy as-well could look into french knitting there are a lot of benefits for task related hand therapy activity's.

Refrences:
Jacobs, K., & Jacobs, L. (2009). Quick Reference Dictionary for Occupational Therapy (fith ed., p. 108-240).

No comments:

Post a Comment