Home

Home

Sunday 11 September 2011

French Knitting

Hello everyone, back again with a different topic to blog about.
I have been instructed to blog about an occupation that i enjoy in a regular basis (at least 2hours a week). I began thinking about what i do in my spare time, and of those things, what do i actually enjoy doing. The list was short and limited.

I am going to blog about my participation in French knitting.

what is it like:
It is very easy and relaxing activity like any knitting, that doesn't need all of your attention. Although you do need to watch what you are doing a majority of the time so you don't drop a stitch.

Practical considerations:
It is a craft that uses very little equipment, wool, an awl which is like a knitting needle, and a tube with 4 nails at one end. All equipment can be found at most fabric sewing and craft shops cheaply. french knitting can be taken anywhere easily, you don't need any more space than what your body takes up seated. It is socially acceptable to do it anywhere... except during social occasions.

what does it mean to me:
I am a creative person who always likes to be doing something. I am conscious of being productive with my time so, when i am relaxing i like to be working towards something. Crafts for me now as a 22 year old student have become more of a therapeutic activity, it is time for me to reflect on how the week is gone and what i have coming up. French knitting has also become something i can do in the lounge while the rest of the flat is watch T.V. Watching T.V is a social thing in our flat so although i don't watch very much T.V I need to be in the lounge to socialize with my flatmates. French Knitting has given me something to do and work towards, during my down time and socializing time with my flatmates.

What does it mean to OT:
My own personal need to always be occupied, emphasizes how such small occupations can be important to individuals daily life. Biomecanically to French knit the individual will need fine motor skills to hold the equipment, hand dexterity, hand dominance. Also the individual will need some cognitive abilities, to follow instructions, problem solve and process sensory information. Knitting in general can give an individual a role within family and friends, it mite be the reason why they are needed by others, it is a time occupier, it is creative and individualistic. Creapu (1991) states that "Occupations provide meaning and purpose to a persons life."

Refrences:
Crepeau, E.B. (1991). Achieving intersubjective understanding: Examples from an occuaptional therapy treatment session. American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 44, 311-317.

No comments:

Post a Comment